Thursday, March 18, 2010

MATC Technology Users Group

I went to the meeting of the new Technology Users Group that Mercedes Fisher and Brian (Blackboard guru) are forming.  Brian was explaining the comparative advantages of doing a wiki thorugh Blackboard and doing a wiki through  a site such as Blogspot.  Ont of the advantages of using a wiki through Blackboard is that students don't have to register for it and don't have to sign in to a separate site to use it.  They simply sign in to Blackboard, with which they are already familiar.  I would like to set up wikis for GENENG, to allow students to share and critique work.  I've been delaying implementing it because I thought there would be administrative hassles.  Soon, we will be working on Introductions and Conclusions. Last semester, I simply asked students to post their intros and conclusions anonymously on the Discussion Board.  I didin't get enough response, and I couldn't use the results very creatively.  This semester, I will have them post intros and conclusions in small-group wikis and , wow!  the possibilities are almost endless!

2 comments:

  1. Jeanne,
    Will they be working collaboratively to create their intros and conclusions, or will they be peer editing each other's work? Are you going to give them a template to work in? If you'd like to do a dry run with someone before presenting it to the students, I'd be glad to be your "test student" and help you work out any glitches. I'll learn something that way, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rita. Let me see how this goes. I've asked the students to play with a sample wiki for extra credit. If I don't get a lot of takers, I can add you to my Blackboard site, I believe.

    ReplyDelete